For Ragnar you have a group of 12 runners in 2 vans. One van is resting and trying to sleep while the other is running/following their runners. It is broken into 3 legs for each runner, so I ran leg 6, 18, and 30 for a total of 18.1 miles.
My second leg was the hardest for me, and through it I learned a couple of important lessons! I had been sick the day before Ragnar, and thankfully for my first leg I felt great. I started feeling sick again Friday night, and was not feeling super by the time it was my turn to run my second, 8.1 mile leg. But I learned some cool things. The first thing I learned, is that with lots of prayer, I CAN do hard things! This leg was so hard for me--it was uphill, in the dark, and I felt awful. I never thought I was going to make it to the end, but I did, and I only walked for maybe one or two minutes total (which I was still disappointed in. :/). The second lesson I learned is that it is okay to ask for help and depend on your team. I realized that I probably should have just accepted my teammate's offer to run part of it for me, because I was not feeling good at all. People are there to help you in life, and it is okay to admit that you need help sometimes.
After I finished my second leg, I was walking around for a while trying to find my team in this long line of vans. One of the volunteers asked me to cross the street, so I did. Then a driver said to the volunteer, "Sir, I think she is drunk. She has just been wandering around for a long time now." Oops! I guess I must have looked a little bit out of it. :) I can assure you I was not drunk.
Anyway, just thought I would share some of running's many life lessons with you and a funny story. :) Now for some pictures!
Warning: These pictures may frighten and/or scare you. We got up at 3:30 in the morning to leave and didn't really sleep much until after it was over, so do not judge us for the way we look. :)
Jessica, Hillary, and me
Coachie and Mrs. Coachie!
We made it to Paradise!
This is me during my first leg. I have a sombrero on because Cafe Rio passed them out for the last 1/2 mile.... if we wore them, we got a coupon for a free entree! YUM! I had the luckiest leg- no other legs got to wear sombreros or win coupons.
Jess, Rachel, Hillary, and me after my first leg.
***Then I was sick and didn't take any pictures until
all of our legs were completely over***
After it was over, we went to breakfast at Kneader's. It was my first time, and I do believe they have the best French toast ever!
We survived!
Yay! Hillary got her car sticker. :) Hillary was awesome and was like my big sister on this trip while I wasn't feeling well.
I was craving grapes the whole time, and what do ya know?!
At the finish line, free grapes. :)
Me and Jess :) Love her!
Also, check out this picture from last year's Ragnar of me and Jess--we didn't even plan it, and they are pretty similar pictures! Funny.
The whole team: Coachie and the Freaks 3
There are so many great people on this team! All part of our cross country running family.
Ragnar was so much fun and I hope I get to do it again and again!
Um, LOVE this post!! I'm so very glad I got to run with you Mindy, you are such an awesome girl. I loved your lessons that you learned while running too. Your spirituality always inspires me:) Thank you for being an awesome Ragnar buddy!!
ReplyDelete