Thursday, February 2, 2012

Just thinkin

     Obviously, I am not really into this blogging thing anymore. Today I am writing a post to help work through some of my thoughts. Sometimes I just need to let them all out somewhere! I think this is a good place.
     I have had such a blessed life that has been free from major trials, but January was a hard month. I hate watching people I love become discouraged. I hate watching bad things happen to good people. I hate when I get down on myself. I hate pretending like everything is fine, or that I don't care about things when inside, I really do.
     It's easy to sit here and think about all of the things I don't like about myself, my circumstances, or my life. But I am realizing that just sitting here thinking about them isn't going to change anything! I remember when I was giving a talk in church once, I found this quote:

"Comparing yourself or your situation to someone else’s is essentially a waste of time. It changes nothing and affects your attitude for the worse. And it is a difficult habit to overcome.
The big problem with comparing yourself to someone else is that you usually end up comparing your weaknesses against their strengths. You are too willing to brush aside your strengths as unimportant and concentrate on what you don’t have." (August 1995 New Era, emphasis added)

     So, I am starting off February with a fresh start. It's ok that I'm not perfect! It's ok that I'm not good at humanities. It's ok that I have beautiful roommates who get asked out more than me.  It's ok that I say stupid things sometimes. It's ok that I am not like every perfectly dressed girl at BYU.
     I am so thankful for my wonderful family who loves me; they mean more to me than anything! They always manage to make me feel like a million bucks, and they love me no matter what. Sometimes, I wish I could quit going to school, move back home, and just cook and clean and play Just Dance all day. :) 
     I am also so thankful that Heavenly Father still loves me. When President Uchtdorf gave his fabulous "forget-me-not" talk, I loved it. But it wasn't until it was my turn to feel forgotten that I realized how powerful and true his words are:

" . . .wherever you are, whatever your circumstances may be, you are not forgotten. No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you with an infinite love.
Just think of it: You are known and remembered by the most majestic, powerful, and glorious Being in the universe! You are loved by the King of infinite space and everlasting time!"

It's so easy to forget this. In fact, I am sure if I tried I could talk myself out of believing this right now. But we can't do this to ourselves! Part of my new goal is to not even let myself start walking down that path. I'm going to be happy, all the time. :) So goodbye discouragement. Goodbye self-pity. Goodbye January!
    

7 comments:

  1. Loved your blog entry Mindy. You are so amazing! I just love you to death! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Mindy I love you forever! And for the record, I think you dress way cute! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy, I love this post. I love your positive attitude, and I think you are great! Thanks for being such a great gal. I love you forever! And I'm glad January is over too. If you want to move home and cook and clean and play Just Dance, I'd love it! But I guess I'm glad you are where you are, doing what you are doing. Keep up the great work, my dear. You bring me an eternity of happiness! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy, to me, you ARE PERFECT! You inspire me in so many ways to be a better person. You are everything I want to be (except a girl!)in terms of your many strengths--spirituality, self-discipline, such a fun person to be around, work ethic, physical fitness, amazing intelligence, and to top it all off, you are as beautiful as can be--inside and out! I am so very thankful to Heavenly Father for the privilege to be your earthly dad--I'm sure it was for my benefit more than yours!
    I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melinda Jane, What an amazing young woman you are, so gifted in so many ways with so many talents and inspiring ideas. From the day you were born you have always been such a fun and happy person. Every time I'm around you you make me feel better about myself and those around you. You shine and I can see the Light of Christ in your eyes. I'm sorry January was a difficult month, and I'm so glad you're looking forward to a more positive and upbeat month! I love you and think you are amazing! Hang in there! Love, Auntie Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you don't mind me writing to you, but this reminds me of my own daughters when they went off to school. The same feelings, pretty much the same things you are going through, they went through. But in the end, it was the best time of their lives. And now they have found the best guys in the world to have as eternal companions. It always makes us stronger in who we are and gives us more strength in our Savior. You are so beautiful inside and out. Just remember that the best one is yet to come and enjoy every moment because time is flying by. And with those lovely parents and family that you have, it's icing on the cake. Love Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a little late, but just know to me you are one of "my beautiful roommates that get asked out more than me". Haha next year is going to be great! I love ya :)

    ReplyDelete